Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Anniversary means Party?!

That’s what Ashley was hoping earlier this month when Anthony and I celebrated a day that we consider a mini anniversary. It’s not our real anniversary (that’s in August), but it is a day we consider special and unique to us. We mentioned to Ashley that we were celebrating this special day the morning of and Ashley immediately became excited! She asked to take our wedding photo into school and I thought, sure, why not? I thought it was sweet she wanted to show her teacher. So, she took it to school and immediately told her teacher it was our anniversary. Instead of explaining the whole thing to the teacher at drop off time, I just let it go, said thanks and went home. When I went to pick Ashley up from her ballet class, there were parents already there and they congratulated me on my anniversary! I must have looked perplexed and they said that Ashley made an announcement before ballet and told everyone there,all the kids, all the teachers and all the parents! I never imagined that our anniversary would mean so much to Ashley, that she would even recognize what it meant – and I found out later, when we arrived home, that she doesn’t know what it means! She immediately asked when we were having the party and where the cake was. Yep, she was excited because when I said “celebrating” she blocked all else out of her mind and just thought “party, sweets, candy, ice cream, cake”. She was quite disappointed when I explained it all to her. Poor Kid. But, as she pointed out afterwards, Ryken’s birthday is only in a few weeks, so we’ll have a birthday party then, right mom?

No comments: