Thursday, September 27, 2007

One highlight of my days...

I have discovered something that just makes me giggle and smile – something so utterly adorable – of course, it involves my own child. I have discovered that I can sit for hours (ok, maybe not hours, but mintues for sure) and watch Ryken eat. I just find it fascinating and so cute. He LOVES food. He giggles when food is placed before him and lets us know in an extremely grumpy manner if it has been more than 30 minutes since food has last been in his mouth. He is trying so hard to eat with a fork and spoon and will often hold the spoon or fork in one hand and savor the taste of his other hand with food on it. He smacks and licks his lips and does all the disgusting things that I find so distasteful when an adult does it. A meal is an event for him, one that usually requires a bath or at least a good washing down afterwards. We have only found one thing he will not eat – Eggs. We’ve been able to trick him a few times by hiding the eggs in with ham and cheese and veggies. But if it’s a hard boiled egg or a fried egg – the second it touches his lips the tongue comes out and nothing can go back in. I keep trying though – every few weeks, I’ll give it to him again and so far, same reaction every time. I wonder at what age I will no longer find awful table manners adorable and the need for some real learning at the table to begin?

No comments: