Wednesday, May 23, 2007

No censoring?

I'm sitting here watching CNN International and they just did 2 stories on China that did not get blacked out. Occassionally, the TV will go black when there is a story on CNN or the Australian Channel (ABC) that the censors don't want to be shown in China. I am quite surprised that one of these 2 stories made it through the censors - as it does not make the government look good. One story was about some rioting that has been going on in rural villages regarding the enforcement of the "one child policy". Apparently, there have been government officials going around trashing peoples houses and belongings if the women don't agree to forced sterilization or birth control, along with fines up to 10 times the annual salary of these villagers.
Guardian Unlimited Story on Riots
The other story was interesting and funny as it was a CNN reporter going into one of the major "designer" markets to buy knock offs (looked like Silk Street Market to me). It was funny to see him haggling and dealing just like we have to everytime we shop at a market. He was able to buy a whole "designer" outfit for around $100, uncluding socks, underwear and a "rolex" watch. One reason I love shopping in the States, even if it is more expensive - I know I'm getting something that is going to last longer than one wash.
Article on Silk Street This is an article I found doing some searching on silk street market. The only reason tourists go there is to buy fake designer labels at a cheap price. I find it hilarious that there are people reporting less fakes being sold. Two years ago, the market was sued by some international brand names. I believe they don't sell those fakes anymore (although if you bring a picture of anything you are looking for, I bet there is someone there who can show you the same "fake" piece either in "the back" or "under the table". I mean this literally.).

No comments: