Wednesday, June 07, 2006

You are free to move about the city

We have a driver and a car now!!!!! Anthony’s been working on it for a while and yesterday, he surprised me by meeting me and the girls for dinner with our car and driver to take us home! It was after one frustrating day of taking cabs and getting lost and trying to find cabs when there weren’t any, so it was a welcome relief to have a ride home. Mr. Wang is our driver and he speaks very little English, but can read and write Chinese, so I can just show him an address and he’ll take me there. I was able to run to three different places today and do things in the span of only two hours – which is something that would have taken me days to do with a taxi. It is also much more relaxing riding around in a minivan, with air conditioning, knowing that the driver knows where you want to go and how to get there, which is not a given when you take a cab. I am just so thrilled to have him and our car. It’s a minivan, forget the name, but everyone has them here – all in a dark blue color – I think it’s a Buick Shanghai or something like that. Seats 7, so big enough for us. We still need to get carseats for Ashley and Liz. We looked at a place this last weekend called Lufthansa Center, and they had Graco carseats – for OUTRAGEOUS PRICES! The booster seat that we have back home for Ashley – I think it costs around $50 US dollars, they are asking $200 US for it here. And a Graco convertible car seat was $500 US! That is just insane. There are lots of people moving, so I’m hoping we might be able to buy a used one off of someone who no longer needs it. It’ll take a bit of getting used to, having to rely on someone to take us everywhere, but he lives nearby, so given enough notice, we won’t have to wait long for a ride.

Last Friday, we all went to the clinic here to get updated on all our shots (minus Ryken, he’s too little!). Anthony got 4, I got 3, Ashley got 2 and Liz got 1. I didn’t realize that doctor clinics are also known as torture chambers for our two kids. The ear piercing screams that could be heard coming from behind closed doors while they got their shots was pretty horrible. I had to hold Liz in my lap so they could give her a shot in her leg. She was trying to pull her pants back up and she’s a strong little thing – almost succeeded in keeping them on so she wouldn’t get the shot. She wanted them to give it to her in her finger – poor thing. She only cried for a few minutes once it was over though, then it was Ashley’s turn. Anthony took her in while I stayed out with Liz. He told me that she actually did really well, although from the sound of it, I would have thought she was being tortured. In reality, he said she sat still for the shots and didn’t move her arms when they did it. So, maybe that means she’s getting a little better when it comes to those things. Luckily, I think it’s the last of the shots she needs for many years (or at least I hope so!).

All the kids are healthy now. I managed to catch the cold they had last week and now have a sore throat that isn’t going away. I don’t know how much of it is pollution or getting used to the pollution here and how much is just a virus or something. Today was an absolutely gorgeous day – a bit breezy, with blue skies and white clouds – no sign of the gray dusty polluted skies that we see so often here. I took Ashley with me while we ran errands – she had fun hanging out with mom. We also had playgroup this morning and I met some other moms with 3 month old sons, one who was born on the same day as Ryken! Isn’t it a small world?!

No comments: