Thursday, June 22, 2006

Liz's First Day at School

We decided to put Liz into a little preschool for a few mornings a week, just to get some socializing in and some learning of Chinese and English. Today was her first day and she was actually excited about going, especially when talking to Ashley since Ashley has been “going to school” (camp). Liz always wants to be like her big sister! There are a few kids from our complex that go there, so I went to visit it last week and liked it. Run by a German lady, out of an apartment, it’s a bilingual program, English and Chinese. Hopefully, that will encourage Liz to start using some more Chinese. Right now, she will tell me “speak in English” or “Xiaoshu no Chinese, speak English” if we start speaking in Chinese. She can understand what Xiaoshu tells her in Chinese though, she just doesn’t want to hear it or speak it. Maybe if she’s with other kids that are doing it though, she’ll change her mind. When I took her this morning, she didn’t cry or get upset when I left. She was busy playing on the merry go round outside, so she was happy. They said she did great all morning and she ate a lot at lunch (like that’s a surprise!). She didn’t talk much, but she did participate in all the activities, so that’s good. I drop her off around 8 and pick her up at 12:30. She’ll go 2 days this week, 2 days next week, then 3 days a week for most of the summer. Ashley is signed up for summer camp sporadically throughout the summer, so if Ashley stays home for the week, then Liz will stay home too. That way we can venture out and do some sightseeing or kids activities all together.

While Liz was at school, I went shopping at Carrefour (a supermarket) with our driver, David. I like David a lot, much better than our first driver. He is trying to learn English and so we will practice with each other, him English and me Chinese, as we drive around town. It’s a good way to learn. I’m used to doing my shopping on my own, but Xiaoshu needed some cooking oil and I didn’t understand what she needed, so she told David and then David came with me to shop so he could get it. He pushed the cart around and tried out all the items I needed to buy to make sure they were working (apparently that’s common here in China – plugging things in at the store to make sure they work). It was interesting and a bit difficult to get used to – making sure I didn’t lose him in the store. He’s a very helpful addition to shopping though!

I had Xiaoshu come with me to pick up Liz at her school so she would know where it was and the teachers could meet her. She was getting in the car with Ryken and kept saying “I can hold him, I can hold him”. I had to tell her several times that he sits in the car seat when in the car. She seemed really disappointed since she loves holding him. I’m sure she’s not used to the concept of carseats as only the RICH Chinese use them. The whole ride there and back, she would talk to him and coo with him and hold his hand – basically, not leave him alone. He’s getting quite used to all the attention and doesn’t like to be left alone for any period of time. We’re working on getting him to fall asleep on his own, but Xiaoshu has to constantly be told that it’s ok as she would prefer to rock him to sleep. I usually just let her, since it also gives her some downtime to sit and relax, but we’re gonna have to stop it soon. He’s cooing and making lots of sounds now and giggling a bunch. His face really lights up when he smiles and he’s started rolling onto his sides – usually to find his hand which he loves to stick in his mouth. He’s starting sucking on his thumb, when he can find it from his fist. He loves putting EVERYTHING in his mouth – it’s his obsession now. He’s getting big – “pong” – as Xiaoshu says (means fat in Chinese). I believe he weighs about 18 lbs – that’s on our scale here at home. On Tuesday, he goes in for his 4 month checkup, so we’ll find out his official weight then. He’s outgrown all his 6 month clothes and is now in 9 months.

Anthony is away on business again. He left yesterday for Schenzen and then will be in Shanghai Friday and Saturday. He comes home Saturday afternoon. I am so thankful that we have Xiaoshu since she makes it SOOO much easier when Anthony travels. She was supposed to come to the house this morning at 7:30, so I could leave at 7:45 to take Liz to school, but she showed up even earlier – saying “1 person, 3 children, that’s too much”. Awesome. I had already gotten everyone dressed, so she helped with breakfast while I got everyone’s backpacks ready.

No comments: