Sunday, April 16, 2006

Cinnamon

Yesterday (Sunday), went to XiangShan (Fragrant Mountain) with some co-workers. Walked up to the peak, back down, had lunch at the town at the bottom, then headed back home. Have pics with comments at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64879399@N00

A few interesting things about that trip:

* A lot of people hiking had on business suits and dress suits (not usually in good shape as you might imagine), I was told when I asked that most of the were probably migrant workers from outside Beijing, so probably only had business suits with them – appropriate for work or play.
* At one point at the top, a guy asked if he could get his picture with me, I was by co-workers because I was Westerner wearing sunglasses, that I looked “cool.” Finally, people who understand me! :)
* Also, the mountain area where we were has military installation under it (some command headquarters or something, protected from bombardment by being under the mountain), and a lot of dignitaries lived nearby.
* The mountain itself, was named because apparently one of the peaks (I think where we climbed up to), looks like an incense holder. Thus, “fragrant.”
* And yesterday, at lunch, I think I had buried duck eggs for first time. That’s where they take duck egg, bury it in mud with herbs for about a month, then dig it up, cook it, and serve it with slabs of white tofu. Wasn’t too bad. Ain’t gonna become my main staple anytime soon, but not as bad as it could be. As it should be.

So this morning(Monday), I’m heading out to go to work (walk to security gate, have them call cab), when opening gate it seems particularly dusty. Thinking I need to ask the Ayi to do something about that. Then say good morning to a lady walking her dogs, and she mentions the dust everywhere, that there must’ve been a sandstorm night before. Sure enough, now that I’m actually paying attention, everything has a light covering of light brown dust. Like everything’s been sprinkled with cinnamon. Car’s driving by have a covering of it across the top. Similar to what you see the morning after a light rain with freezing temps – but instead of ice it’s dust.

It’s to the point when as I’m walking through the grass (and this is not thick grass), there’s a puff of dust that goes up with every step I take. A car driving out through the exit of the complex sends a large poof of dust up around it’s sides just from turbulence as it passes.


Another interesting thing I’ve found out. Apparently, government here charges each taxi car (or driver, not 100% sure) about $4,000-5,000RMB per month for license. Divide by 8 for US equivalent ($500-$625). This probably doesn’t sound like much, but I’ve been in a cab for and hour and a half before in bad traffic going to work, and total bill for cab ride was about $7.50. So if you figure $8/hr very best case (when traffic good, getting lots of riders), working 12 hours/day, 6 days week, 4 weeks/month, that’s $2300/month). Then you have to pay for the cab, gas, maintenance, and money goes to the cab company, I’m sure. Chances are, they probably pulling in about half that or less, so more like 1100-1200 mth.


There’s a lot of ‘illegal’ drivers here, too, usually at airports entrances and touristy locations. They stand around, ask you where you’re going, and offer a fee to get you there, usually more than you’d pay be meter. This way they get out of tax/fees, mostly they’re not even driving cabs, just normal car. Sometimes you can actually save money this way, but you have to know about how much a cab ride would cost. Generally it’s not worth it, just look for a cab. They’re cheap enough.

Stuck in traffic right now. When cars are stopped in traffic, sometimes people will come by and jab business cards and little flyers in the between door and window on side of car. Just jab it in and keep quickly walking to the next car.


HAHAHA… So, I’m actually typing this in the cab (all the really good cabs here are Hyundais, this is one of ‘em). And he asked if he could use a “XiaoLu” – little road. I said OK. Well, too bad I don’t know more Chinese, or he could have been more precise. He could’ve asked if he could drive through a forested bumpy dirt field… It worked through, we passed a significant amount of not stopped traffic…

OK, that’s enough for my random thoughts and experiences for the day.

Less than a week ‘til I’m home! But it’s gonna be a hellacious week. See y’all soon!

No comments: